Episode 22: Brianna Williams of A Fork In The Road
Today I'm chatting with Brianna Williams of A Fork In The Road, a food truck out of Newport, RI. Brianna and I connected via one of my Winks employees (thanks, Dana!) and I was thrilled that she was willing to chat with me for the show especially since her big kick off weekend (Memorial Day!) is looming large. A Fork In The Road is a seasonal food truck serving mouthwatering New England inspired fare. At one point in our conversation Brianna describes some of her menu items to me and when I say "mouthwatering" I mean it literally. Never record before dinner!
Brianna and I talk about how she came to the brick and mortar life and how she knew it was the right choice for her. Brianna doesn't own the actual truck-it's owned by Blackstone Catering- but she's truly in charge of everything A Fork In The Road. She does all the behind the scenes stuff, like menu planning, expansion planning and hiring staff, and also heads up the day-to-day food service on the truck. Brianna gives us lots of details on the food truck life and I'm excited for you all to hear her story.
Brianna talks about:
- How she was able to spot an opportunity and jump at just the right moment.
- Her tips for those looking for opportunities to own and/or operate their own brick and mortar.
- Partnering with a larger company as a way of getting what you need to open a business.
- Why you need to be ready to work when you're opening a brick and mortar especially something as labor intensive as a food truck.
- The kinds of permitting you need to open and operate a food truck.
- How much food is too much food and how they gauge the quantities to take out on the truck.
- Benefits of working with local vendors and food providers.
- The "real" ins and outs of operating a food truck (it's not always dreamy).
- The logistics of planning for a day on the truck.
- Managing the truck while still finding time for her hobbies and creative outlets.
Thanks to everyone for listening and for supporting the show. Keep on spreading the word and keep on sending in suggestions for shops and spaces that you'd love to hear from. Talk to you in a couple of weeks.